Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Blast from the Past

Man, it has been a long time since I had reached the end of a PES 2009 season. My original game still delivers the goods, albeit in a far different way than the new PES 2012, which I am currently playing to unlock the Classic Players. However, this post is to announce what occurred during Penta City's D2 League season. Shortly after the mid-season transfers, PES United had a bizarre collapse. They lost several games, allowing me to catch up and tie with them. Meanwhile, Martins was busy building his reputation as the greatest striker currently in the ML. Scoring a monstrous record of 28 goals in the season only and topping the world as the best striker, Martins was definitely performing. His skill allowed him to top the striker ratings too, with an average of 7.87. I took advantage of PES United's complete collapse and Martins' scoring form to take the lead of the D2 League standings and get myself promoted to D1 with six games left in the season.

Continuing upon this, I managed to pull myself past my bogey team IFK Goteburg on penalties in the semis (6-5 on aggregate) of the D2 Cup, and straight into the finals. The team I was playing was none other than Zenit St. Petersburg. They opened the score with a header by Pogrebyniak but I bounced back with Martins. They increased the scoreline with Arshavin but once again I scored, this time with Griffiths. In overtime, I dominated possession and obtained many opportunities, but AI bullshit allowed them to go upfield at the 118th minute,  and score. Thus I was runner-up in a tight game 3-2. Martins finished top scorer and overall best player. Back in the league, I marked an eight game win streak, including a rampage over former leaders PES United (4 goals by Trezeguet and all assists by Martins). This game shot Martins up the assist board and settle at the top with a total of 6 assists.

I went on a slump in the last three league games, tieing  them all and losing valuable transfer points. I finished the season in first place, and was promoted along with PES and Zenit. Martins ended as top scorer, assist leader, and Most Valuable Player. Funnily enough, his transfer season value was twice what it was when I first bought him. The summer transfer window arrived, and due to a lack of points for the recruits I wanted, I scheduled pre-season friendlies on all the weeks. I lost my first one 4-0 to the European Selection, even if they played 9 man towards the last 5 minutes. Martins was absent. During the negotiations, I first bought Ospina, a Colombian goalie with an excellent development curve, along with a player I never had seen before.  His name was Enzo, and he was 21 years old. He plays defensive midfield and has an excellent long shot and pass.

Following these additions, I won my next friendly and tied the rest. Meanwhile, I tried investing in Arda Turan, Mauro Zarate, and Jesus Navas. They all refused, but I still signed Gervinho as a bolster to my strike force. I also signed Albin and Diego, two midfielders who added depth to my team while being strong prospects for the future. I tried getting Giovinco, but my max salary offering was 1400, and he refused. I made a few tweaks in the starting squad, and now the only defaults left are in my defense, which I have not invested in.

I am interested to see how this season will end up. I had enabled Classic Players, as I always do if I'm starting a default team. I am wondering how well I will do with a Youth policy and no Classic Players. The clubs in my ML world have made huge signings, to the benefit of the bigger clubs. I started my opening game, with a very disappointing loss at Porto in the Estadio de Dragao 3-0. Hopefully I can pick up my game and make a run for a European spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment