Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Master League Stars

Ever since I began PES, I enjoyed the Master League mode. I mean, come on, what is there not to like about making your own team and winning titles, all while buying your favorite players. Sadly, I've never managed to continue a Master League beyond the fourth season; the game becomes repetitive and boring for me. I have been playing PES 2012 and its Master League, but it takes too much time and I miss the good old days when players didn't complain about being left on the bench, or being transfer listed. Also, with the new daily based cutscenes and matches, the Master League takes forever to complete. To reminisce of the beginning days, I decided to try out the Master League on PES 2009 for the first time in quite some time.

My biggest gripe with the new PES gens (2010 onwards) was that they were abandoning the old Create your Team mode which was a wonder to play with. It was much more challenging than starting with the club lineup, however weak the club was. I chose to begin my new Master League with a custom team. I named my new team  Penta City, which I honestly don't have an explanation for. As you probably know, Create your Team allows you to use 1000 points and get any players of your choice. I decided to go for the much hyped Martins, who I had never used previously in a Master League. With a Top Speed and Acceleration of 99 combined with a Dribble Speed of 94, the Nigerian striker is the definition of a speed demon. His speed was matched with 75 Shot Accuracy and 82 Shot Power. I felt that he would be an excellent addition to my team, even if it was only short-term. However, he cost 940 points, and therefore I could add no more players.

I went with Top Player as I was still well in touch with the game, and I was slotted into a mixed D1 League. I decided not to make a Super League because then the Champions League would be worthlessly easy. I began the season off with a win 1-0 courtesy of Espimas, who scored an bread and butter goal off a brilliant pass by Ruskin. The following game, which was the D2 Cup 1st Leg, saw me lose 1-0 to a tall, overpowered Rosenburg Ballklub. The goal was scored in the 84th minute when they were awarded a corner. I headed it away, sighing with relief, when their right back got it, crossed it back in, and scored off a header. Disappointed, I headed into the next fixture mourning over how overrated Martins was and how he does nothing. I went down 1-0 within 15 minutes of the start to HJK Helsinki. However, I focused, and scored a brilliant brace courtesy of Martins, who lived up to the hype. Two missiles into the bottom corners of the goal. I was holding on to second place nicely.

In the following matches, I crushed FC Zenit, beat out Rosenburg, lost to Goteburg, and won a few more, including a comeback against Hammarby. Going into the midseason negotiations, I was 4 points behind PES United, the D2 league leaders. I had salvaged my way past Helsinki in the cup based off away goals thanks to a lucky Martins strike in the 93rd minute. I instantly looked for Youths and cheap veterans. Quickly, I located young 17-year old Welsh superstar Griffiths. 4 other clubs were bidding for him, but I couldn't pass off such a promising WF. I offered an immense salary of 1870 points to bring him in. I checked out his development curve, and he peaks at 94, making him a value buy. I bid several times for Toni, as I was in need of a big target man. He refused all my offers. I tried to pick up Brazilian midfielder Lucas for a tighter defense, but he refused as well. I then tried signing Trezeguet on loan. Incredibly, I managed to sign him for the next half season. I came out of the transfer negotiations with only 1 new transfer, who I plan on building up.

No comments:

Post a Comment